Monday, October 26, 2009

A trip downtown

Greetings everyone! This is Morgan. I want to share a little bit about my new job and commute. I really love the FTC! The people I work with are awesome, and I feel like I fit in very well.
The commute is not quite as great as the job, but it still isn't bad. I commute 50 minutes each way every day... I get on a bus, which takes me to the metro in about 2 minutes, and then I spend the rest of the time sitting on the metro listening to books on tape. Really it is quite nice. Some days the metro is pretty full and I sit next to strange people, other days it is empty and I can sit back and relax. Still haven't figured out why it varies. The best part of the commute is when I arrive at the Archives metro station. I come up out of the ground in front of the National Archives building, which is beautiful! After I come out of the metro station I walk across Pennsylvania Avenue, where I can't help but look to my left and see the sun rising directly behind the capitol building just a few hundred yards down the street. Just across the street from the National Archives, right along the National Mall, is the main Federal Trade Commission building. I either stop there, or take a 5 minute shuttle ride to our other building on the other side of the capitol. Every morning I decide all over again that I love DC!
In addition to the awesome buildings, I see a lot of other great things. I saw this ad today on the metro and decided it was the funniest thing I had seen all day. Remember - the President is the "commander in chief"

maybe you have to be in DC for this to be funny? I thought it was hilarious, the other thing I saw today was a guy playing buckets and a trash can. You might wonder how this can possibly be cool - let me show you:

Yes, he is playing 3 buckets and a trash can. Here is what is sounded like:



Absolutely amazing. The sound quality is pretty low in this recording, but in real life I was so impressed I gave the guy a dollar. Anyone who knows how cheap I am will understand how impressive that is. Some people are amazing!

4 comments:

  1. Looks so cool! I think I would probably have been memorized by the bucket guy in real life. Good luck with the job hunt, Katie. That seems weird that the banks are open on Sunday. Hopefully you find something soon! It was fun to talk to you guys the other night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A whole buck! I am proud of you morgan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow--A whole dollar--an actual bill or 4 quarters? cause I think that makes a difference. Thanks for keeping us updated on your lives--were a little jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are liking your job and I can't believe how long your commute is, but I guess it would be a nice time to read. You can probably get in some quality people watching too. Looks like you had a bunch of fun with Katie's parents. Good practice for when we come to visit.

    ReplyDelete