Morgan and I are panicking a little because we only have 3 more months here and haven't seen everything there is to see. We made a pretty extensive list of things to see and have been trying to mark them off at any opportunity. One such item on the list was the National Cathedral.
This Sunday there was an organ concert here and Morgan LOVES the organ, so we decided to kill two birds with one stone and went. I thought the Washington DC temple was big...this building could eat the temple right up (probably not, but its really big). This was the first time I had ever been in a cathedral and it was a pretty awesome experience.
The inside is made up of one large, long room with columns every where. At the front you can see the round stained glass window which was beautiful; I couldn't capture the colors, but they were incredible.
We sat in a small alcove surrounded by the organ pipes and it really was an awesome experience as the sounds echoed throughout the cathedral. It was great to be able to experience the cathedral itself and the organ recital.
The National Cathedral is the 6th largest cathedral in the world.
Construction of this Episcopal Cathedral began on September 29, 1907, when the foundation stone was laid by President Theodore Roosevelt.






That cathedral looks almost identical to some of the ones in Ecuador. They are pretty awesome! Good luck with your DC bucketlist :)
ReplyDelete