Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Ano Nuevo Bay

When we went to Santa Cruz a few weekends ago we drove past this island. One of our friends had told us about it and how it reminded him of the house on the island that the Dursley's run to in the first Harry Potter movie.


Supposedly, some wealthy person decided they wanted to build a mansion on the island in the late 19th century. After it was built, they soon realized that the island was a massive breeding ground for elephant seals.


If this is what my yard looked like, I would probably abandon my house too :)


Because of all the seals, there is also a large population of great white sharks! YIKES! What an fascinating place. I think it would be pretty exciting to go explore the house and see some sharks! Unfortunately, the island is off limits to the public :(



This is the type of thing that just gets my  imagination running wild...I love it!!

4 comments:

  1. If we go out there it better be in a BIG boat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never heard of Ano Nuevo, you must have taken a different route than we usually do. But now I'm super excited to look it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went to Ano Nuevo today, just to add an addendum. It was really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's wild! You would think they would have done some research before spending all of their money on a house they couldn't live in.

    ReplyDelete