Friday, July 22, 2011

Stockholm- the Capital of Scandanavia

I am learning very quickly that although I have a pretty nice camera, pictures will never do justice for the beauty of the cities I am about to see. Stockholm is fabulous! Colorful buildings, tall spires, and lovely bridges everywhere you look.


I could walk around for days and never get bored! The buildings are incredible! One of the big sites to see in Stockholm is the Vasa Museum. Reviews and pictures will NEVER do this justice; if you come to Stockholm and never see this it's a shame!

Vasa, what was to be one of Sweden's finest battle ships, set sail on her maiden voyage in August 1628 and sank in Stockholm harbor. The wreck was salvaged in 1961 after 333 years under the sea. The reconstructed vessel is 95 percent original.

The ship was approx. 70 yards long and 4 stories high.

 Leather shoes and coins salvaged from the wreck.

Intricate carvings everywhere on the ship.


An exact replica of what the Vasa looked like; they spend 12 years doing color research and extraction to fine the exact colors that adorned the Vasa. 

I can't believe the condition this ship is in after 333 years under water; it really was incredible to see.


We also went and toured the Royal Palace and even went down into the castle vaults to see coranation carriages, the crown jewels and armor dating back to 1550 (picture above).
Tomorrow we start our cruise; but it has been so fun to see Stockholm a little bit.

1 comment:

  1. So cool! I can't wait to see all of your beautiful pictures and hear all of your funny stories. :)

    ReplyDelete