On Monday we were still on CA time so we popped right out of bed around 5:30 and decided to go take pictures of the sunrise. Morgan did some slow shutter shots and got some cool pictures of the water looking like fog.
The sun rise after the sun was a little higher in the sky. Most mornings were cloudy so we didn't get to see any really spectacular sunrises.
One thing we noticed about Kauai when we first arrived is the millions on roosters and chickens EVERYWHERE! I used to believe that roosters only cockadoodledoo'd when the sun was coming up...THAT IS A LIE! They cockadoodledoo at mindnight, 2am, 3am, 3pm, pretty much all during the day...there were many times lying in bed that I swore I would kill the next rooster that made a sound :) They are very pretty though and we saw some with awesome colored feathers.
Along with the roosters are the chickens and their babies and they are just CUTE! This little family lived right outside our door and I always go so excited to see them. One time we were walking up to our door and I saw the chicken by the sidewalk and she was looking extra fat. I then saw 5 little sets of feet underneath her and realized all 5 chicks were hiding under her feathers! It was the cutest thing ever.
We went to a beautiful waterfall and hiked around there a bit and then went on a helicopter tour of the island.
Wailua Falls
The helicopter tour was one of the best activities we have done in all our travels. Since more than 70% of the island is inaccessible due to deep canyons and steep cliffs a helicopter tour is the perfect way to see a lot of the island including the famous Na Pali Coast. We were in our own helicopter and had no doors so we could look straight down; it was amazing!
This is what the majority of the coast looks like. The mountains are incredible and are about 5,000 feet tall.
The helicopter took us into the crater of Mount Waiʻaleʻale. Averaging more than 452 inches per year, its summit is one of the wettest spots on earth. Imagine flying into a crater and almost a 360 degree view of hundreds of waterfalls. Pictures or words can't do it justice!
We also flew in and around the Waimea Canyon, also known as the Grand Canyon of the Pacific. It is approx. 10 miles long and up to 3,000 feet deep. The waterfall in Jurassic Park was filmed in this canyon. We got to see tons of these super tall, spectacular waterfalls!
This is Wailua Falls from the air
A better view of the crazy mountain range on the coast. The geography is amazing!
Stay tuned for more pictures from Kauai including the cave where Indiana Jones was filmed!

gorgeous pictures! dont you just love Hawaii? I think I took about 500 photos while there too, haha, that will be my next island to visit, glad you guys had fun!
ReplyDeleteOh I'm sure I would have to take 2 SD cards just to have enough!! So much fun!
ReplyDelete