Morgan is in the honor guard and so he gets called to all the veteran funerals, football games, eagle scout award ceremonies, etc....So I went with him to a funeral this last weekend and it was the coolest thing ever! If you have the chance to go to a veteran funeral it is definitely worth seeing.
So when the hearse comes they stand at attention and salute as it goes by. I posted a picture of that cause it is just really neat and very touching. When they take the casket out of the hearse there is an American flag draped over it. After the dedication of the grave they fold the flag (very perfectly) and then Morgan was able to present it to the next of kin (usually the wife if she is still alive). He hands it to them and says " In behalf of the President of the United States, the United State military, and a grateful nation, this flag is presented as a token of appreciation for your loved one's honorable and faithful service." I couldn't believe how "spiritual" it was! Just a great experience and I am glad Morgan has had the opportunity to do this.
No comments:
Post a Comment