Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Basil & Trader Joe's


Basil: I was first introduced to the fresh stuff this summer at my cousin's house in Dallas. We were making lunch one day and she started making this quesadilla thing with black beans, ham, cheese, and then she went outside pulled some leaves off this plant and put those on as well. Little did I know those leaves off the plant would change my taste buds forever! Since that time I have constantly craved basil. I tried growing it (failed), I may have even snuck a few leaves from the garden next door :) I thought my dreams of fresh basil would have to wait until I could attempt to try planting it again this spring. However, last night I walked in to a friend's house and saw this lovely beauty in the kitchen. I about had a little dance party right there.


Trader Joe's: Ever since moving to DC in 2009 I have constantly heard with praise and excitement the name Trader Joe's. For the first two years I assumed it was just like a Whole Foods, an over-priced store for organic foodies. I had way more important things to spend money on than over-priced hippy food (no offense any one) :) Those of course were my assumptions since I hadn't stepped foot in the place EVER. Well we moved to California and of course there is a Trader Joe's right down the street. I refused to go there, clinging to my long-held stereo type of the place. Finally one night after being really sick we decided to go over there (its the closest grocery store we have) and get some orange juice. To my surprise it wasn't THAT expensive and we even bought some delicious fresh apple juice too. Well life goes on, I still felt that it was too expensive for me and considered the juice a one time purchase there.

Today I thought of that basil plant already grown on my friends counter and I decided to go to Trader Joe's to check out the price. To my delight it was definitely reasonable and I picked one of these beauties up to use for dinner tonight. My image of Trader Joe's is improving and I can't wait to finally reunite my mouth with this delicious leaf!

4 comments:

  1. hahahahaha over priced hippy food. That's how I feel about Whole Foods too. I went in there once to get an oil hoping it would put me in labor. It didn't, but at least I experienced Whole Foods once. But I love Trader Joe's. There is finally one in Utah even now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! People have been raving about Trader Joe's here as well - but I've always had the same stereotype. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if you are ever feeling really brave, you should try this, http://stolenmomentscooking.com/creamy-tomato-basil-bisque/ with your new basil. It is unlike any tomato soup you have ever had before. It is incredibly good. It calls for grape tomatoes but I just use any that are on sale and ripe. Be brave!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on beginning your journey to becoming a hippie foodie ;) I wouldn't want TJs to be my only grocery store, but they have some pretty fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete