Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Freezing Rain

This morning we experienced freezing rain for the first time. Thanks so this lovely phenomena we had a 2 hour delayed start at work! Hurray! However, Morgan thought it would be the perfect opportunity to drive into work early because there probably wouldn't be any traffic. He went out to start the car while I finished getting ready. 10 mins later, I went out and nothing had been done...the car was encased in a 1/4" of ice- solid ice! Morgan had to chip the ice away from his door to get it open and then start the car so that it could heat from the inside out. After about 20 mins of this we were finally able to chip the ice off of the car. It was incredible, I have never seen anything like it.




This isn't our car, but this is what the whole car looked like- every inch of it. It felt really cool as it was seamless. Thanks to the winter weather last year, DC is completely on top of any hint of bad weather. Last night plows and salt spreaders were lined along the roads just waiting to get to work. The roads this morning were perfect thanks to the inch of salt put on them :)

3 comments:

  1. oooh. Looks pretty. Freezing rain is crazy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Illinois gets this too!! It makes me laugh. I don't really understand it though, to me if it is cold...and rainy...shouldn't it be snow? I don't get it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya! Freezing rain, lots of black ice, and tons of salt is about all we see here in scotia!!

    ReplyDelete